Saturday, March 06, 2010
Australian War Time Prime Minister Billy Hughes. Speaks about Jews.
* William Morris Hughes was born in London 1862.
* He began working as a teacher and moved to Australia in 1884.
* Hughes had many jobs as a ship's cook, seaman, drover, swagman, boundary rider, factory hand, umbrella mender and railway fettler.
* In 1890, he was working in Sydney, where he married and opened a small mixed business.
* Elected to the first Commonwealth Government in 1901.
* 1904 Minister for External Affairs in Watson Government.
* Held other positions as Deputy Leader and Attorney General.
* 1915 elected Prime Minister.
* During World War I, he advocated conscription for overseas service. However, a Labor majority would accept conscription.
* The Labor Party split and he survived as Prime Minister with the support of others to form the National Labor Party, then the Nationalist Party.
* In May 1917, he led the Nationalist Party to electoral victory. He put another conscription referendum to the public and the 'no vote' won again.
* In late 1922, he made the new party even stronger at another election. After the election he was defeated by Stanley Bruce to be Prime Minister.
* He remained in Parliament until his death joining the United Australia Party then the Liberal Party.
* He was a member of 5 political parties.
* He died in 1952.
W. HUGHES, Prime Minister of Australia, Saturday Evening Post, June 19, 1919 “The Montefiores have taken Australia for their own, and there is not a gold field or a sheep run from Tasmania to New South Wales that does not pay them a heavy tribute. They are the real owners of the antipodean continent. What is the good of our being a wealthy nation, if the wealth is all in the hands of German Jews?”