"Court hears race war erupted in Darwin"
A TEENAGER who used a machete to attack an Aboriginal youth was "frustrated" after a seven year race war in Darwin's northern suburbs, a court has heard.
Lako Eludas Rasas, 18, was found guilty of attacking a Malak boy, 16, with a machete during a violent confrontation after a party in April last year.
His lawyer John Adams told an NT Supreme Court jury: "This is an interesting case... it's got racial overtones and violence in the northern suburbs of Darwin at night.''
During sentencing submissions, Mr Adams said Rasas - believed to part of an African gang called Hoodstarz - had been harassed by what his client called the "half-caste indigenous boys'' since 2005
He said the Aboriginal boys went to Sanderson Middle School and Rasas and his African friends went to O'Loughlin College but the groups would run into each other outside school and at parties.
"The half-caste indigenous boys saw the African boys as a gang and vice versa,'' he said.
"There were a lot of fights between the two groups.''
Mr Adams said the first "significant'' fight happened in Casuarina where the victim and his older brother attacked Rasas in 2007.
He said there was another violent confrontation at the Leanyer Water Park where machetes, baseball bats and rocks were used in the melee between the groups in 2009.
Rasas was placed on diversion after the attack on the two brothers.
Crown prosecutor Collette Dixon said the recent offending was an "unprovoked'' and "serious'' attack against an unarmed 16-year-old boy.
"It was a truly frightening experience for (him),'' she said.
She said he lost a lot of blood after using his arm to shield his face from the machete during the ongoing fight about 3am.
Mr Adams said tension between the two groups was "still going on to this day''.
He said it started with harassment, progressed to vandalism and property damage and had escalated to violence.
"Mr Rasas was severely frustrated,'' he said.
Justice Stephen Southwood will sentence Rasas on Thursday.